Don't be Anonymous

2:40 PM Edit This 0 Comments »
I AMENDMENT of the Constitution of the United States
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.


Some people seem to be unaware of what this is, if you are, it is the First Amendment it comes from a little thing I like to call the constitution. Now, this is probably one of the most referred to amendments ever. It is important because it gives you rights. The main right I would like to address today is "Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech" This gives you and I the right to say pretty much whatever we want. We are utterly blessed to have this be part of countries make up; there are other places where people don't get to live this way. This is your right and your privilege . Because of this right, occasionally, we are going to have to hear people that don't agree with us or even people that hate us. What this amendment means is that the White Supremacist, the muslim, and the athies all have a right to speak as well. Ok, I'll accept that fact. Voltaire said, "I may not believe in what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." This is one of my favorite quotes, because I firmly believe in what it means.

Moving on, because you have this right, use it. People who make controversial comments and then don't sign their names, ultimately perturbs me more than few other things. These same people often submit things to newspapers with out their names. Do not, I repeat, Do not be anonymous. You have the right to say what you want. If you are going to have an opinion, own it; be prepared to back up what you have said. America is no place to be afraid of reactions. It is your right to say what you think.

I am, today, proud to be an American. This is not a statement I often make. I am, in no way, an ethnocentrist, a nationalist, or even all that patriotic. But I am proud to live in a country where people have freedom to say what they wish and not be persecuted by the government for it and even be protected by the government. Since you are protected use your rights and own up.

0 comments: