Day Off

10:47 AM Posted In , , Edit This 4 Comments »

Thankfully, I have today off. Having the day off is nice. The parts I love the most about having the day off are sleeping in and knowing that when I start work tomorrow it will be a four-day week. I have to get up so early for my job. I have to leave by six, which means I should get up at 5. Usually however, I get up between 5:15 and 5:30. I have learned to condense drastically the things I "need" to do in the morning. I've been trying to eat a good breakfast in the mornings. After one week, I have done well. I hope I can keep it up. The one morning I didn't eat breakfast I was famished and ready to keel over by 9.

I have some things to get done today: finish a baby gift, tidy up a bit, look over lesson plans and grocery shopping.

When it comes to grocery shopping, I don't know how other people do it, but I try to do one big shopping trip every two weeks and then grab other things (eggs, milk, veggies) as needed. I always start by making a meal list for the next two weeks. I list 10 – 12 different meals with sides. When I don't make a meal list we never had the ingredients we need to make dinners and lunches. After the meal list, I make a list of grocery items. I have a master list saved in my Microsoft One Note and I add and delete from that as needed.

Here is the meal plan for the next few weeks:

Meals
  1. Baked chicken nuggets, salad, corn on the cob
  2. Pasta & Veggies Dish
  3. Omelets
  4. Roast Chicken & Potatoes
  5. Chicken Pot Pies
  6. Chicken Tortilla Soup
  7. Veggie Quesadillas
  8. Blueberry Waffles
  9. Beef & Veggie Stir Fry
  10. Fish, Rice & Veggies
  11. Homemade hummus and Turkey sandwiches
  12. WYCF (Whatever You Can Find)

 

Some people may think this is over planning, but I think it is absolutely necessary. On top of making eating at home easier, it definitely saves money. For example, I will use the leftovers from the roast chicken for either Chicken Tortilla soup or Chicken Pot Pies. We try to eat at home as much as possible to save money and calories. Not that we don't love going out to eat, because we do. Also, it's not that you can't eat healthy in a restaurant, you can. Nevertheless, it is just so much easier to save money and eat healthfully at home.


 

So, I am overly type A or do you think this a good way to do things?

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I love the meal plan! We used to do that, but now I'm doing good to pull something out of the freezer to thaw the night before. It was a glorious day when I found out you can put FROZEN meat in the crockpot! :) I followed your tweet here... hope you don't mind. :)

Brandi said...

I think it's an awesome way to do it. We kind of do the same thing, except only a week at a time.

If I don't know what meals I'm ready to make, it would be a disaster!

Clarice said...

Rachel- your comments are always welcome. I should comment on your blog. I love reading Abby and all the things she's able to do.

Brandi - glad you agree

Lisa Blount said...

Want you to know that I read this... :) and I thoroughly enjoy it. Also, your menu sounds like a fabulous plan and not too Type A! :)