I Am An English Major

9:46 PM Edit This 0 Comments »
Let it be forthwith known that I am an English Major. Above all other titles that I may hold such as graduate assistant, Teacher, education major blah blah; I am an English major. I became an English major for several reasons one of the highest on the list is my love of reading. This is not an uncommon quality of a lover of English to love reading. But here's the catch. I, honestly, only like reading that which I think is good and worthy of my time. This leaves the door open to much reading. I love to read Time I devour it each week upon its arrival. I love to read YA books they take me a happier place. I adore Faulkner and numerous other classics. I enjoy non-fiction not often, but I do. And I even like reading books that are purely didactic in nature. However, when I don’t like reading a book I feel like a 10 year old with ADHD. I throw fits, I scream and I am I’m sure utterly miserable to live with or be in near. (Prepositions at the ends of sentences are ok sometimes) I am currently reading the book the Language Police. Needless to say, I hate it. It makes me want to scream. I have thrown the book across the room at least twice. I don’t mind reading works that I disagree with; I think that reading what you disagree with is one of the best ways to learn. However, I believe in an equal presentation. The best way to win someone over is to make concessions. The author of this book with all of her degrees and prominence obviously missed the debate team somewhere along the way. My point is even the biggest lover of knowledge, books, and expression sometimes hates to do her homework, hates required reading, and hates books written by conservative jerks.

0 comments: